CLP Undergraduate Research Program
DEADLINE: Friday, October 5, 2012
PROGRAM DATES: October through April
The Chemistry of Life Processes Institute (CLP) invites NU undergraduates to apply for a $1,000 grant designed to provide a student or team of students with support for multi-disciplinary research with a CLP faculty member. The funds are designated for the purchase of scientific supplies and registration and travel costs to the Chicago Area Undergraduate Research Symposium (CAURS) in April.
Recipients are expected to present their research as a poster presentation at the CAURS. The Chicago Area Undergraduate Research Symposium is part of the American Undergraduate Research Society (AURS) that actively encourages and promotes undergraduate scientific and engineering research through the joint efforts of many of the top research universities across the country.
- Scientific supplies
- Registration and travel to the Chicago Area Undergraduate Research Symposium (CAURS) in April
- Students must be current NU undergraduates (preference is given to rising third and fourth year students)
- Students must conduct their research with a CLP faculty member
- Students must have previous lab experience
To apply, students should submit the following materials:
- Completed application form
Include a one-page, single-sided proposal describing the type of research in which you would most like to conduct if selected for this program. Use a standard 10-12 point font.
One additional page is allowed for including figures and/or references.
Letter of recommendation from a CLP faculty member
Application materials can be submitted via email, in person or the postal service by 5 p.m.:
- Electronically submitted materials should be sent to Tiffany Ozmina,t-leighton-ozmina [at] northwestern [dot] edu ( t-leighton-ozmina [at] northwestern [dot] edu).
- Submit your application materials in person to Silverman Hall 3-601
- Materials submitted through the postal service should be sent to Tiffany Ozmina, Chemistry of Life Processes Institute, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208-3113
CLP Faculty may submit the recommendation letter via email to Tiffany Ozmina, t-leighton-ozmina [at] northwestern [dot] edu.
A scholar will be named by mid-October.
For additional information about this program, please contact Tiffany Ozmina:
Silverman Hall 3-601
t-leighton-ozmina [at] northwestern [dot] edu
CLP Undergraduate Research Scholars
2012-2013: Helen Gomez, O'Halloran Laboratory
Research: Explore the interactions between metalloregulatory proteins and DNA Learn More
2011-2012: Felix Richter, Dravid Laboratory
Research: Using magnetic nanostructures (MNS) for “theranostics” – combining MRI with T2 contrast agents coupled to RF-induced thermal therapy/activation
2010-11: Kolby White, Scheidt Laboratory
Research: Utilizing benzyl anion additions to primary alkyl halides for the construction of secondary alcohols.
2009-2010: Samantha Dale Strasser, Backman Laboratory
Research: Developing a novel means to quantify nanoscale optical refractive indices within biological cells, which can be applied to cells in the earliest stages of cancer.
Since receiving the CLP Undergraduate Research Grant, Samantha has been awarded a 2010-11 Goldwater Scholarship and 2011-12 Churchill Fellowship. Congratulations Samantha!