CLP Newsletter Fall 2018
Sending cancer packing: $2 million NSF grant funds novel strategies to prevent cancer treatment resistance
One of the most intractable obstacles in treating and curing cancer is the tumor’s ability to adapt to and resist treatments. Although many new and effective drugs are available, according to the National Cancer Institute, “nearly all current treatments face the same...
VIDEO: Cross-training tomorrow’s scientists “CLP is the mothership for bringing the chemist and the biologist and engineers together.” – Rick Silverman, Patrick G. Ryan/Aon Professor, inventor of the blockbuster drug Lyrica® Solving the most pressing problems in human...
When Patrick Martin, Managing Director, Martin Investment Management, LLC, first heard about the idea to form a new institute at Northwestern University that would combine the strengths of different fields of study into one effort focused on finding new drugs and...
From the factory to the front lines: Combating superbugs and other threats through on-demand medicine
When it comes to fighting drug resistance and other emergent health threats like Ebola, AIDS, H1N1, SARS, time is of the essence. “It’s amazing to think that by 2050, antibiotic resistance will threaten 10 million lives per year which is more than cancer kills today.”...
This year, two leaders in pharmaceuticals and bioscience, respectively, have joined the Chemistry of Life Processes Institute’s Executive Advisory Board. The newest members of the board are Sheila Westmoreland, DPM, MPH, PMP, senior director, Gene Therapy, Sarepta...
Understanding the full puzzle of proteins: A chemistry pioneer works to improve a flawed test for a common cancer
DNA sequencing used to cost thousands of dollars. Now, you can pay $99 for a genetic screening, all without leaving your house. “The genome was a wild frontier in the 90s, but ten years later, it wasn’t,” says molecular biosciences professor and Chemistry of Life...
More than 250 Northwestern graduate students, researchers and scientists gathered at Silverman Hall in July for the Chemistry of Life Processes Institute’s Core Crawl, an annual networking event and facilities expo. While enticing researchers with craft beer, pizza...
CLP Research Centers and Core Updates
More CLP Faculty News
- Thomas Bozza: Sniffing Out Olfaction’s Molecular Underpinnings
- Ali Shilatifard: 3-D Structure of COMPASS Protein Complex Revealed
- Teresa Woodruff: Cancer patients guaranteed oncofertility treatment coverage under new Illinois law
- Guillermo Ameer:Chicago researchers develop new bandage that accelerates healing
- Karl Scheidt: Northwestern researchers on a big breakthrough: Slowing cancer cell growth
- Erik Andersen receives prestigious NSF honor for young faculty
- Michael Jewettand Jessica Stark, (CLP NSF Graduate Fellow): BioBits educational kits bring synthetic and molecular biology experiments into K-12 classrooms
- Vadim Backman:Cheek swab may help diagnose precancers, early malignancies
- Michael Jewett Receives Young Investigator Award Award honors his contributions to the field of biochemical engineering
- Josh Leonard and Neda Bagher: Northwestern Receives First NIH Research Project Grant Dedicated to Synthetic Biology
- Michael Jewett:Bioengineers create pathway to personalized medicine
- Guillermo Ameer, Teresa Woodruff: New Center for Advanced Regenerative Engineering Launches
- Susan Quaggin awarded Ver Steeg Fellowship
- Sept 25-28 – CLP/Physical Sciences-Oncology Center leadership and investigators will participate in the 2018 CSBC/PS-ON Annual Investigators Meetingsponsored by the National Cancer Institute, in Bethesda, Maryland
- Oct 1, Nov 5, and Dec. 3, 11 – noon – CLP Research Forums for CLP pre-doctoral trainees, students and postdocs
- Oct 4, 2-4PM – Physical Sciences-Oncology Center “Science Jam”
- Oct 15,4PM – Silverman 1-510 – Chemistry of Life Processes Predoctoral Training Program Kick-Off Reception and Poster Session
- Oct 24 – CLP will host senior leaders from the University of Missouri (Columbia, Mo) to share institutional best practices
- Nov 1, 8:30 – 5PM – Biannual meeting of CLP Executive Advisory Board